Monday 19 November 2018

The message of prickly plants



I'm particular to prickly plants. And thorny ones. The bristly-er the better. I like a plant with attitude.

Wild rugosa roses - the best roses for medicine - have extremely bristly canes that fight back ferociously whenever it comes time for me to trim them, unless treated with the utmost deference; meanwhile, their cousin hawthorn's thorns are lethal weapons that can literally blind anyone who blunders into them.

Stinging nettles, there's another one that will inflict pain to the unseeing; and burdock with its velcro-like burrs won't let you pass without something to remember it by.




Wild (aka prickly) lettuce looks meaner than it is, but prickly ash is just as mean as it looks - even if you're lucky enough to spot it before it spots you, it always manages to catch you in its clutches and remind you of just why foragers wear long sleeves and proper shoes "out there", even on the warmest of days.

Oh, and then there's barberry, with its charming dewdrop shaped red berries that will cost you - in blood! Ditto blackberries and the wilder of the raspberries.

Yet, as wicked as all these plants may seem to be to the casual hiker or dog walker, to those who pay attention - I mean really pay attention - to where they're going and what they're doing, they're allies.

My fellow old hippies will remember Ram Dass; his famous slogan applies here -

Be Here Now.

Of course, the prickly plants each have their own application of that advice. And I'll be honest, I haven't worked with all of them so I don't know every one of their individual life-lessons.

But I do know that stinging nettles are particularly helpful for those of us who don't know how to stick to a firm "NO". People who say "maybe" or "I guess that would be all right" don't live in the here and now, they live in some nebulous future where everything will work out in the end even though they know they're caving to something they don't want to do - again. I guess it's the way nettles support the kidneys (that's where we store our fear) that help us be, well, pretty fearless of the judgement we may face if we put our own needs first.

On the other hand, misuse of (ie too much) nettle can bring out our worst qualities, and we become selfish and overly sensitive**.

There's always another side to the coin. Why don't more herbalists talk about that?

I know that prickly ash is particularly helpful for bringing us back into our bodies when we're all spaced out from acute, intolerable pain. Or even just spaced out. But I would imagine - since I'm working with prickly ash right now as I deal with pinched nerve pain - that using it too often or in too high a dosage might .. hmmm. I can't actually finish that thought. I don't know what too much prickly ash could lead to. Nor am I inclined to find out.

Hawthorne, of course, helps us "lead with the heart", and that's a very present-moment way to live. Not the sentimental Hallmark heart, no sir. Those thorns speak to us of boundaries after all. Hawthorn supports a steady heart. An aware heart. If we're working with the flowers, possibly a horny heart.

And although these medicinal plants will "work" for us when we buy them prepackaged in tea bags or nifty little bottles of tincture, their message comes through just a little more clearly when we've been able to grow or gather them ourselves. Meet them in the flesh.

You don't soon forget the funky smell of a hawthorn flower, or the feeling of a nettle sting.

Maybe people wouldn't be inclined to overdo it with nettles (lots of people overdo it with nettles) if they got to know nettle, personally?

Without gloves?

Ha!

If I was to lead people on foraging walks I'd take them to dangerous places. Blackberry patches. Fields where long grasses disguise lurking nettles. Forests with fallen trees and branches that snag and trip. Shady places with blackflies so thick you have to wear a bandana over your face to keep them out of your teeth.

Well okay, maybe not the place with the blackflies. I hate freaking blackflies.

Still - It strikes me that "wildcrafting" and "herbal medicine" are overly romanticised. If I asked you to picture, in your mind, what a "wildcrafter" looks like, what would you "see"? What's that person wearing? Not Birkenstock sandals, I hope!

Gathering wild foods and medicines, even when its not the particularly prickly ones, brings us out into a rather dangerous world. A world that requires sturdy footwear no matter the weather, because sweaty feet are better than injured feet. But that rather dangerous world makes us tough, practical and aware. You have to be able to look ahead several steps at all times, scan for thorny things or wet ground or that fallen barbed wire fence you're about to get tangled up in.

You have to be able to learn to tolerate a nettle sting because even when you wear gloves and long sleeves it's going to get you in the one place you're not covered.

And that's a lesson in itself. It's impossible to be entirely protected; it's better not to try, it's better to just be aware. Grasp the nettle, so to speak.***

Besides, when you learn how to scan for the stuff you need to avoid, that's when you find the treasures. That fallen log? Don't change direction and go around it, climb over it, then check the other side. It might be covered in turkey tail mushrooms.

And - eventually - you learn to discern when the land is telling you that you're not meant to be in that place. It will do that. Wild parsnip, with its caustic sap that burns sensitive skin like acid, grows prolifically in places where the land has been abused in some way and is trying to recover. It thrives - ironically enough - where glyphosate or other nasty chemicals have previously drenched the soil. You probably don't want to go there anyway.

It's not just the prickly plants, then, that tell you to PAY ATTENTION, they all have their reasons for growing where they do.

There's bigger picture out there that foraging teaches us to see. The one where humans are not the centre of the universe and it's not all there just for us to exploit.

But neither are we interlopers. The land accepts us, welcomes us, once we get to know its ways. It helps us to learn to be not quite such bumbling, unaware idiots as we've become by living in climate controlled, bug free houses. It's only been a few generations since we belonged out there, so it doesn't take more than a few years to relearn what that belonging means.




**Speaking of overly sensitive, here's an anecdote from the old days I was hanging out with my friend the Native Medicine Woman. Whenever she was faced with a weepy, complaining, fearful woman she would tell her, "Oh fer crissakes woman, get your clitoris off the end of your nose!"

*** Re "grasp the nettle". The internet is kinda wrong/kinda right when it says: grasp the nettle definition: to force yourself to be brave and do something that is difficult or unpleasant.

In fact, the 'stingers' on stinging nettles are more like hairs or fine shards of glass and easily crushed. Grasping the plant firmly means the stingers collapse and cannot inject you with all the lovely chemicals that make your skin itch and burn.

However, it's not fool proof. Some part of you will accidentally brush the plant gently and you will get stung. But it's not that bad, at least not once you get used to it.

Some of us even enjoy it.


16 comments:

  1. I'm finding all this sort of stuff (do I just call it herbalism - I'm so naive) more and more interesting.

    I wish I had more time to get out in nature if I'm honest. We do when we can - love a nice walk in the countryside etc. - though prams limit us! But even that is far less than I'd like - work and other demands get in the way!

    Years ago I'd have thought this was just woo-woo hairy fairy type stuff. However since I've been prioritising my liver - my temper and calmness are much better...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call 'this sort of stuff' herbalism, but that's not really the right word .. there are so many others who use the same word and mean something else entirely. Some would use the word 're-wilding' for what I do but that one makes my skin crawl. Too trendy.

      I never mind when anyone calls it woo-woo to my face - generally they're just teasing and if they're not, well, their loss if they can't see there's something to this.

      When I was pushing prams I didn't get out there much either. Once the kiddies are bigger they love a good ramble, but then you've got to keep one eye on them at all times. It wasn't til mine were grown and gone that my husband and I moved to the country and then retired that we could do all this. In the meantime, I read, read and read some more. But there's nothing like hands-on.

      Do you have a garden? An allotment, even? There's a lot you can do with even the tiniest bit of ground if you're itching for 'the experience'.

      I find the relationship between the organs and our emotional states absolutely fascinating. And practical, once you learn how to work with it.

      Always a pleasure to have you chime in Rob.

      Delete
    2. Rob, count me as another who thought this was woo-woo. Actually, I still think it’s woo woo, but in a really good way. I think things come to us at the time we need them and are ready to learn them.

      So here’s another woo-woo topic you might be interested in. I speak as someone who also has a temper. I do, however feel that I’m a calm person, but I think most who know me might disagree. I think of calm as being able to think when things are falling down all around you. I can think, but I have zero patience for those who cannot or who delay.

      Anyway, I don’t know what to call it. Some call it mindfulness, but no mindfulness book helped me. I like to call it self-hypnosis, but probably because those books worked for me. Really, I think they might be different views of the same thing with one view being more useful to certain people. I tend to be more control freak, which I understand is better for the hypnosis view. (Hypnosis is sort of intense concentration.)

      I don’t know where to start with this, but there is a lot out there.

      The benefits to me have been astounding. I can put myself to sleep in seconds in nearly any circumstances. It took practice, but it’s a matter of calming myself, focusing on something hbreathing usually, but can be lots of stuff) and then repeating “go to sleep.”I don’t know how to describe this, but there are times when I might have a negative thought - one that would keep me from falling asleep. I feel a hormone surge, and everything tenses. But by simply feeling it happen and acknowledging it, I can reverse it and go to sleep. I recognize it as the anxiety and unhelpful thoughts that used to keep me from sleeping. That’s what I’ve read about mindfulness-don’t be critical, acknowledge, and move on. I’ve just approached from another angle.

      I’ve learned how to make 15 minutes of sleep feel like much longer. It’s nice waking up a few minutes early and not feeling stressed about not having enough time.

      I didn’t realize before how much anxiety about sleep contributed to my anger. And about how much my anger contributed to my anxiety about sleep.

      There’s much more to it than this. It’s been a total woo-woo journey. I believe many dreams are simply the brain trying to interpret various remembered visual and auditory memories that get played during sleep. I believe I’ve gotten to listen to and see the raw inputs. It’s fascinating. And I feel the need to interpret what images and sounds are being played in my head.

      I love that my body parts (arms, legs) are where I imagine them to be, even if I do not move them. I know these at the same time.

      I’ve also observed myself at a distance, but this is very hard. It requires lots of energy.

      Anyway, maybe keep this in mind. I’d have loved the ability to sleep on the spot when my kid was young.

      Delete
    3. Wow thanks for the replies.

      Wild cucumber - we have got a reasonable sized garden and the plan was to start growing some of our own food etc. However we have to be honest - we just don't get the chance - at least not consistently. Running my own business, rentals and fostering really makes a dint in your time. Hopefully at some point in the future I'll get what you appear to have - a more rural area with the time to enjoy it!

      Wilbur - sounds very interesting stuff. I have read mindfulness books and I do meditate. I like the meditation but almost feel like I have a lack of structure - am I doing it right, how could it be improved etc..

      I did try self hypnosis years ago but struggled tbh. Maybe it wasn't the right time for me, maybe not the correct resource? Do you have any specific book recommendations? I like to keep a list of books to read when I get the chance.

      I did read the 48 laws of power you recommended a while back. It did feel quite manipulative and almost nasty at times - but I must admit useful!

      One last one - maybe wildcucumber might have some herbs that would help with self hypnosis? Just thinking out load!

      Thanks

      Delete
    4. Rob -

      I wrote a bunch of stuff last might but it all disappeared when my browser decided to refresh. I’ll write it again but in smaller chunks and maybe over more time.

      I learned self hypnosis without reading. Quite honestly, I don’t remember the details. I don’t have a script or anything like that. It’s just a mental state that I’ve learned to turn on, and it gets easier with practice.

      I have read some books. This one I like a lot

      https://www.amazon.com/Science-Self-Hypnosis-Evidence-Hypnotise-Yourself/dp/0957566719/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1542837732&sr=8-1

      Like I’ve said, meditation wasn’t for me. I might have the wrong idea, but meditation seems to involve peace, quiet, and solitude. And sitting.

      I can do self hypnosis almost anywhere. On a busy plane. In a crowd.

      Have you ever played a sport when you’ve been “in the zone”? Where your so hyper focused on what you are doing that it’s as if your thinking mind splits from your body. Your body does a great job and your mind just marvels at how well it’s doing seemingly without your mind’s help. That’s what self hypnosis feels like to me.

      I also get a buzzing sensation. The book above says different people experience it differently.

      It might be the same destination of meditation but a different route. You are very definitely in the now. In my sports example, the mind can marvel at all that’s going on at the moment. If, while being in the zone, you wondered what you would eat for dinner, the whole mental state would fall apart (and probably your performance). As I got better, I could feel not now thoughts or worries start to arise and push them out. It’s kinda neat. I could also feel the beginning of hormone surges as the thoughts tried to come in, and feel the hormones subside after pushing them out.

      Time to start a new reply.

      Delete
    5. A second book I like a lot is this one

      https://www.amazon.com/Self-Hypnosis-As-You-Read-ebook/dp/B00FRK2Y4S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542839760&sr=8-1&keywords=Self+hypnosis+as+you+read

      I don’t usually follow scripts, but I like these. I often need to stop reading just to rest and enjoy.


      As for herbs: I recommend learning how to do it first without intentional herbal help. I did it that way. Then self hypnosis is almost a platform that you can tweak with herbs. Even now I rarely use herbs to influence it.

      Any herb that helps you relax will make self hypnosis easier, I think. Lemon balm, milky oat, and many others. Wildcucumber knows these!

      There are two special ones though, which I’ll put in the next post b

      Delete
    6. One Herb I use is blue vervain. Check this out

      https://www.herbrally.com/monographs/blue-vervain/

      Yeah, I often want to dismember the nearest living creature! This is one I use when I want to deepen the experience. It’s much the same, but it’s essier to maintain and control. I can feel myself slip into hypnosis while I’m walking to bed, for example, without inducing it intentionally.

      Delete
    7. The second is wild lettuce. I use this one when I want to go on a wild ride.

      This is the one I used, for example, on the time I tried to put myself to sleep but failed. I had never failed. I kept trying but no luck. Then I realized I WAS asleep. My mind was awake but my body was asleep. Weird, but was very relaxing. My breathing was different from anything I’d experienced. It was a fun experience.

      Weird things always happen to me with wild lettuce.

      That’s all I can remember right now.

      Delete
    8. Wilbur, that's a nice link! I gotta explore that site.

      The blue vervain you're talking about is that the flower essence I sent you?

      Delete
    9. I use both the one you sent me and a tincture. The tincture is like a hammer. The essence is gentler. It depends on circumstances as to which I use. What you said about almost every Herb impacting things is very true, I think. I’m still learning.

      I also got a pink ladyfinger essence. It also influences things, but I can’t put it into words.

      Delete
    10. Pink ladyfinger? Or lady's slipper?

      Talk about woo, but those flower essences I've been making are turning out to be one of the most interesting experiments I've ever done with plants. In some cases, like your vervain example, far gentler than a tincture. In other cases I find them more powerful in a way I just can't put my finger on (yet). I was highly skeptical; after all, there's almost nothing to them, they're made by floating blossoms on water ffs! But they seem to sneak in past the mind/body and into some deeper place to do their work ..

      That's the trouble with this woo stuff, so hard to describe what it is and what its doing. You feel the changes but they're deeper than words go, dammit.

      Delete
    11. Bloody hell! Thanks ever so much for taking the time to describe this in so much detail (twice!).

      I've ordered the 1st book and will give it some thorough attention. I'll leave the herbals alone for quite a while - I'm thinking this like most things in life worth mastering - will require consistency.

      If it works half as good as burdock has - it will be another worthy investment!

      Thanks again for your time

      Delete
    12. Yes, pink lady’s slipper! Got it confused with tiramisu. ;-). Anyway, when we lived outside Boston, MA, we had a pink lady’s slipper in our backyard. It was beautiful. Our neighbors would come to look at it. When I saw the essence, I felt a certain connection. Had to try it. I feel more grounded, more real when I use it. Not sure that’s a good description.

      Rob, I feel like I’ve had three good successes: the fiber, the mental, and the herbal. They went that order for me. Although each is connected to the others. I think with all these things that you have to play with them. I find that fascinating.

      Delete
    13. Rob -

      One more thing I thought to mention. Last night I was reminded that the herbals do not guarantee a pleasant experience! Last night, I used blue vervain and had repeated negative dreams. I hesitate to call them bad dreams or nightmares. They just weren’t pleasant, playing on my fear of extreme heights or of not being able to locate a family member.

      They were lucid dreams (which tend to occur with me when I induce sleep hypnotically), and I tried to cut them short or change them. Not sure what causes them. They’re rare, but I occasionally have nights like that. Oddly, though, the sleep is still relaxing, just a bit frustrating. Might have had something to do with pepperoni pizza for dinner.

      Delete
  2. Oh Rob, you're sitting pretty! A garden allowed to run just a little wild will yield all sorts of weedy aka herbal goodness. Here, read this post.

    https://garblingthedandelion.blogspot.com/2018/06/you-can-do-this.html

    Any plant can be a meditation tool. As for self-hypnosis plants in particular, I'll defer to Wilbur.

    ReplyDelete