Wednesday 24 January 2018

Medicine chest 3 - Slippery Elm - the safe and the not so safe.


Here's a surprise for you all, I do some of my foraging in the retail environment! Ha!

Slippery Elm Bark - While we do have slippery elm trees in our neck of the woods (and I'm pretty sure I have a couple of weedy youngsters coming up in the wilder edges of our yard) I have yet to experiment with making my own slippery elm bark powder.



Instead, whenever we take the ever so pleasant day trip up to the village of Killaloe where stands one of the last remaining old fashioned healthfood stores, I stock up on slippery elm there. In the (alas, now rarely seen in retail) 'bulk' herbs section there's a bin, and inside the bin there's a great big bag of finely powdered, fragrant, slippery elm bark. The friendly older hippie lady weighs out the amount I ask for while we chat. I could buy my slippery elm on the internet, I suppose, but I like to be able to see and smell before I buy. I like to know I'm getting the real thing. I'm looking for a pale, tawny coloured powder. Anything too reddish or dark or too white is adulterated or poor quality.

I learned about slippery elm long, long ago, from the classic book "Back to Eden" by Jethro Kloss. Now old Jethro, the last of the American Eclectic physicians, was a bit fixated on enemas and was really big on soy beans. Ugh on both counts. But we forgive him; that book is invaluable for his descriptions of the herbs; he actually used them in practice, unlike the armchair herbalists who came after him. Even the brilliant (and very particular about his sources) Matthew Wood often refers back to old Jethro. If you ever run across a copy of Back To Eden, snap it up.

Anyway, there are lots of uses for slippery elm bark, both external and internal, but I mostly make it into lozenges. I should say 'sorta lozenges', because they don't even come close to resembling the commercial hard-candy type. In fact they always stick to the plate and/or each other. But I forgive them because they're invaluable, ha! To make them is simply a matter of mixing the powder with honey, (a sticky, messy business that involves much licking of fingers) rolling the goo into little balls which are then placed on a saucer to 'dry' (they never do, entirely). Sometimes I keep dusting them with more powder in the hopes that they won't stick together and to the saucer, but more often than not I just place them far enough apart that they won't glom together, put a small inverted glass bowl over the top as a lid and put up with having to scrape them off the saucer.

It's one of the great mysteries of life how a dry powder can be so moistening, but it is. If you want to know how slippery elm behaves on your insides, do the following - mix a little of the powder with cold water and watch it turn into, essentially, slime! That 'slime', or mucilage to be more delicate, is almost identical to the kind of thing our bodies produce on their own - or should - to lubricate our insides and keep everything moving along as it ought to. If you next add hot water (a pint to a teaspoon of powder) you'll make something magical, something that soothes every tissue it touches. If you're dealing with any kind of intestinal distress, even quite severe, slippery elm 'gruel' as they call it, is just the ticket. It's both healing and nourishing, and tastes quite sweet so it's appealing to someone with no appetite. It's especially useful for the dreadful stages of chemotherapy when the mouth is full of sores and the person can barely swallow. Just a little at a time can do wonders. It can be used thicker or runnier, the powder can be mixed in with oatmeal or sprinkled onto yoghurt; it's really quite versatile.

You don't have to be ailing to use slippery elm. I made a batch of lozenges recently, it sits on the windowsill over the kitchen sink and every couple of days I reach for one just because I like them. It's good for innards, a nice insurance policy when winter means there's no fresh wild foods to nibble on,  and moistening to the dry mouth and throat that those of us who heat with wood are prone to.

Now, a word (okay, several) on the use of slippery elm in capsules. To some extent, I don't entirely disapprove as much as I normally would to using an herb in capsule form.  Better, I think, to open the capsules and use them either in the liquid prep I describe above or make some of those melt-in-your-mouth lozenges, so that the moistening effect gets everywhere. People tend to think that bowel problems are a problem of the bowels, alone, but that's not the case, the inflammation is system-wide. So while capsules that take the slippery elm to the targeted area won't hurt, allowing slippery elm to coat, soothe and moisten the entirety of the digestive tract will do more good.

The 'recommended dosage' of the capsules, 3 or 4 capsules, 3 times a day is absolutely a bit much. By comparison, I'd estimate my lozenges contain maybe 1/2 a tsp, that's about 3 capsules worth (?) and I take no more than one every couple of days - and always with lots of water. Occasionally I'll use them more often, if I need to, but I wouldn't make a habit of it, my gut has always told me to be moderate about slippery elm. I just recently found out that my instinct on this is correct, it turns out transit time is 30 hours, so it's easy to see how large amounts could back up in the system, especially taken in capsules. This ends up doing the opposite of what slippery elm is supposed to do; as Matt Wood puts it "Excessive dosing can cause it to absorb too much of the intestinal secretion, resulting in a dried out condition". He also quotes Eva Graf's recommendation that it be used as a 21 day course at most. Slippery elm works so well that if you're not better within far less time I'd be surprised.

While writing this, I perused the interwebz for a minute or two looking into commercial preparations of slippery elm and I came across slippery elm tincture. What? Yeah .. No! Fer goodness sakes, no. Gawd those snake oil salesmen come up with some silly notions. The "Healthy Home Economist" (one of the most wrongheaded people on the internet) has an article here that's just utter nonsense. First she describes slippery elm bark as a bitter, which it isn't, then as a demulcent, which it is. I'll try not to let this turn into a rant dissecting all the ways her article is poorly researched and typical of so much on the internet these days but .. suffice it to say, the lady does a lot of paid endorsements, so let's assume she's doing one there. Her warning that the tincture is not safe for pregnant women is another clue that something's not right; the powder, which is entirely safe, is in fact recommended for the constipation of pregnancy (used correctly, of course). My educated guess is the tincture she's shilling talking about is made from the outer bark, which is not a traditional, time tested use, and my spidey senses tell me it was 'invented' to use up the bitter outer bark left over after the sweet, demulcent, healing inner bark was removed for commerce. Buyer freaking beware, jeeze. That our friend Sarah may be unaware of any of this attests even more to how unqualified she is to give herbal advice.

And of course as I've said before and I'll say again, don't take my word as gospel either. Find your own sources, 3 at least, who aren't trying to sell you anything.

So, in summation, slippery elm bark is wonderful stuff if used in moderation but you have to know you have the real thing and it works best if you use it the old fashioned ways. If you have capsules in your cupboard, go and open one up and check the colour - and maybe someone could let us know in comments how their capsules look on the inside? I'm so suspicious, especially after having read what I've read today about the adulteration that goes on out there, I feel the need to be reassured (and maybe others do, too).


24 comments:

  1. Another great post! I'm learning a lot, and I appreciate the time you put into your posts. Thank you!

    I just happened to have a 1 lb bag of slippery elm bark in my fiber closet. (Yes, an entire closet devoted to various powders and fibers.) I had to look up "tawny colored" (in US English), but mine was spot on. Wonderful smell. Put a little on my tongue. I'm not sure I'd describe it as sweet, but a very pleasant taste. Certainly not bitter at all. It would be fantastic with honey, which I will definitely try if I need it.

    I don't want it to be an endorsement or any kind of sales job, but I got mine through Starwest Botanical on Amazon. Everything I've gotten from them is top notch and fresh. Like you, if prefer to see and smell before buying, but for something like this and in my case, they're good.

    Another example is psyllium husk. I've bought a lot of brands. But the Starwest Botanical smells wonderful; the others had little smell. You know it's better just by the smell.

    My post is sounding a little bot'ty. I'm me. As proof, my foxhounds' names are Lola and Dulce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Wilbur! I'm really glad you shared that about Starwest Botanical. People so often ask me for commercial sources of the things I write about and I can rarely answer them - I'll keep it in mind. Especially as I know you're as picky as I am. Agreed, smell is a really great indicator of quality. Glad you like the tawny powder :-)

      Delete
  2. I just tried posting this and for some reason all was lost. Sorry if you get a double...
    Great post. I read on Amazon user comments that some people boil slippery elm powder for 5 to 20 minutes. What are your thoughts on that?

    I want to share: I started drinking burdock root decoction after reading your exchange with Wilbur and others on VeggiePharm. In about a month my scalp Lichen Planus had calmed down to a point of not being a problem at all. I then stopped because of travel, etc. and it reappeared. It didn't help that I had to eat at restaurants more than I wanted.
    I have started again but now I mix it with dandelion root and chicory root. Do you think this is better, or should I stay with just burdock?

    Another thing I decided to do after reading around here is to plant nettles (from seeds I ordered). I used to eat them in a creamy soup as a child and I loved it. Knowing my lack of green thumb, they will probably die but I can't stop myself from trying :-)

    Teddy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Teddy - no double, but things are weird at my end too, so who knows what's up. Glitchy things, blogs.

      Re slippery elm - if they're using bark bits, or coarse powder as opposed to fine powder, I could understand simmering it a wee while, but long boiling ..? I'd be afraid it would destroy the mucilagenous properties. Maybe not, though, since it can be mixed in with oatmeal ..

      Re burdock - well, let's see. From what I've read, burdock will permanently clear up skin problems but it takes a long time. So maybe going back to it after the interruption, just as you did before, will eventually do the trick. (Pretty cool that it worked for a while there!) Better to mix with dandelion and chicory? Hmmm. (pause as the brain wheels turn) .. burdock and dandelion are traditionally taken together (Barr's Irn Bru is a soft drink based on that combo), they seem to enhance each other's actions, so there's that. And here's something interesting re chicory I just found in one of my books "chicory strengthens those tissues that digest and assimilate food, the blood that carries the nutriment, and the periphery in which the nutriment is deposited - skin, senses, nerves." (Matthew Wood, Earthwise Herbal Vol 1). So that's pretty cool. I'd say no harm, just watch for big time cleansing symptoms since they can all do that (you'll know 'em if you see 'em) and back off a little on the dandy and chicory if that gets to be too much. Let me know how that works out, 'k?

      You don't need a green thumb to grow nettles, they thrive on abuse! Let some grass & weeds grow in among them, they like company. And .. well I'll just go ahead and say it.. diluted urine makes a nice fertilizer for them once in a while (tomatoes too!), provided you're not taking any meds.

      Thanks for the interesting questions!

      Delete
    2. I had to read this a couple of times to get it all. You always have so much info in so little space. Thanks!
      Re burdock - wow, it can heal skin problems permanently! I am in. I like the bitter taste just like one likes black coffee so will not have to force myself.

      Slippery elm - so I got my hands on what was in my local health food store and it was loose bark. Kind of like soft mulch. Looks the right color you describe. Here is a web image I found that is like mine:
      https://www.herbco.com/images/product/large/p-630-slippery-elm-bark-cs.jpg
      Now, I will order the powder but until then how do I use this stuff? Should I chop it in my ninja blender? Or is there a way to use just as is?
      I tried mixing it in warm water for a few minutes but nothing happened. When I strained it, I touched it and felt it was slimy but the water hadn't changed.

      Your help is much appreciated!

      Teddy

      Delete
    3. As I understand it, yes, burdock often brings about permanent cures to skin conditions, but of course caveats abound, not the least of which is what is causing the problem in the first place. But since the skin cleared up while you were using it, we know it at least palliates, and considering Lichen Planus is considered an autoimmune condition, that's extremely interesting. It's traditionally used for eruptive conditions like boils and acne that are related to liver/hormone clearance issues, so this is sort of 'off-label' lol. I'd love to know how it is managing a so-called auto-immune issue! (Or maybe Lichen Planus isn't really an autoimmune condition after all? That's possible too. "They" often name mystery conditions as autoimmune these days)

      Burdock can be taken for years without harm, by the way. Once you see success again you could slowly back off and see what happens. Or not, it's up to you.

      For your slippery elm, I haven't used it in that form, but here is what I would do: soak it in cold water for an hour or so, then bring it to a gentle simmer for a couple minutes, turn off the heat, let it steep til you see some change in the colour of the water, strain and sip as a tea .. or, yes, you can grind the dry bark as fine as you can to make a gruel or lozenges or whatever.

      Keep in touch!

      Delete
    4. PS!! Important burdock note!

      As an example of the importance of having the right books to dig into because we all forget really important stuff, I offer this from Matthew Wood (he's discussing burdock's ability to correct our absorption of fats and lipids as a bitter) - "With low absorption of lipids there is a shortage of these substances around the body. Burdock is thus associated with dry, scaly skin conditions and dry skin in general." Does that sound about right to you?

      Delete
    5. You know how sometimes you happen to read information from different sources and it all adds up. Like making a puzzle. I am having this happening right now. Yes, dry skin, especially hands and feet. Very interesting.
      I made the slippery elm bark tea today. Being the impatient person that I am I didn it in reverse- simmered a pinch for 5 minutes, then let it sit to cool down. It became a nice reddish color. Thank you!

      Teddy

      Delete
  3. I dropped slippery elm from my fibre mix possibly a couple of years ago (can't really remember why?). I tried to add a non fermentable fibre into my mix (tried PHGG) - though it reacted badly with me (was fine in the past!).

    I'm not too good at just doing every couple of days type stuff - I think because Im so busy if something isnt daily, the habit doenst get formed. So was thinking 1/4 tsp in my fibre mix?

    P.S. - forgot to say - enjoyed the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob - I guess your answer depends on your motivation for using slippery elm as a habit. I only have some every couple of days at this time of year because the house is dry and I like the moistening effect on my throat; once spring comes I'll drop it unless/until I need it for some other reason.

      My point is that although you *probably* wouldn't come to any harm using it the way you suggest, it's really more of a medicinal & healing food to be taken as needed, than a daily supplement type thing. If you feel you need to moisten and heal your insides, why not try a course of a few days of the tea or mixing it into your oatmeal and see if that resolves whatever specific problem you may have (if that's the case)? I'm not sure tiny amounts taken long term would do either harm or any specific good.

      That said, I'm pretty sure it's a fermentable fibre, so it would feed gut bugs and we all want our gut bugs well fed. So all I can say is carry on as you see fit, let me know how it goes (I'm always interested) and remember that a 30 hr transit time *might/maybe/could* be an issue, depending on what you're taking with it.

      Oh, another point (gee I get long winded!). Slippery elm, at least in the usual doses, can impede the absorption of meds so it has to be taken a few hours away from them. I don't know if you take anything that would make a difference to, but it's a good thing to be aware of.

      You guys are really putting my brain to the test!

      Delete
    2. Thanks very much for the detailed reply - food for thought.

      I think I will try what you suggested - pick a good time to try 2-3 days and see how I feel.

      I'd like another brain picker please!

      Work has been horrendous lately - not had a day off in last 20 days, starting early, finishing late, coupled with unrealistic deadlines. Not surprising guts have not been on par.

      Last night I made a real effort to relax including meditation that I haven't done in a while. Feel much, much better this morning. So the question is would you recommend any botanicals for stress or anything to help activate the parasympathetic nervous system?

      Delete
    3. Hi Rob - you might not like what I have to say here ..

      You can't really 'activate the parasympathetic nervous system'. Unless/until the body senses it can 'stand down', it won't allow that to happen. The problem is - or will be, if not already - that your life is such that the sympathetic nervous system has kicked in and will stay on alert until it sees it's no longer required. A routine that shows your body that it will be allowed to rest on a *regular* basis is the only way to rebuild the necessary trust between your body and your mind. It's the boss, you have to listen to it, not the other way around.

      I don't work with the plants in such a way as to be able to recommend 'botanicals for stress'. That's the mindset that props the body up in the short term but wears it down in the long term. Fix your life so that negative stressors are minimized, then give the body the nutrition and perhaps medicinal plant support it needs to recover the way it knows best how to.

      Sorry if I sound a bit stern, it's just how I see things.

      Delete
    4. I appreciate your honest opinion. It's what I thought tbh. I am making a conscious effort (wrong choice of words!), including reducing intensity of workouts, remote support to site to negate travel etc.

      Think I was looking for a band aid for the times when works expectations of me are unrealistic. Though like you say that lends itself to abuse.

      Thanks

      Delete
    5. Cool, glad we're on the same page. You might want to consider eating more, too. Dealing with stress requires more energy, esp. if the work is mentally taxing (brains are hungry things!). Carbs really do help here, and surprisingly, so does *slightly* upping salt intake.

      Delete
    6. Rob -

      In addition to all the things mentioned above, something counterintuitive might be reading certain books on strategy and power. I'm a novice and completely new to it all, but I'm finding learning these things has greatly reduced my stress levels (which I grant are not as high as many to begin with). Some of it is of course making it easier to get what I want, but it's more that I can see the techniques others are using to manipulate me. Others are not usually aware of what they are doing, so if I'm aware I can sidestep the pressure -easily.

      I wish I could give more details, but it's a lot of little things that add up.

      My favorite book on this is "The 48 Laws of Power" by Robert Greene. Plus you might learn a lot of history that you didn't know But I read lots of books on psychology and persuasion before, so I can't say if it's a good starting point. Robert Cialdini's books are awesome.

      I don't want to discuss politics. But Trump is the screen adaptation of 48 Laws of Power, and watching him provides a masterclass in implementation. One of the 48 laws is something like "don't be emotional" because it will cloud what you see and prevent you from reacting correctly.

      Scott Adam's "Win Bigly" is a good book about Trump as master persuader. Or if you prefer, George Lakoff's "Don't think of an Elephant" is an excellent pre-Trump progressive counterpart. Lakoff, a progressive's progressive, has long warned against Trump's strategic knowledge and (against deaf ears) offered techniques on how to counter it.

      Powerful stuff. But it is useful even defensively.

      Delete
    7. Thanks guys very much for the feedback. I think I have the diet pretty much nailed - plenty of beans, sourdough rye bread, potatoes, green bananas - sort of like 'blue zone' recommendations.

      Wilbur - thanks for the books. I read one of Robert Cialdini's years ago - I was/ am a bit of a self help nut. I've ordered the 48 laws of power and will look at the others after.

      Thanks very much again - I do really appreciate the help. If I'd had these problems 20 years ago (even though they are largely much improved) - I recon I'd have been totally screwed - having no internt to source information.

      Delete
  4. Rob,

    I am the least knowledgeable about herbs here but I will share my recent experience.
    I don't have a stressful job but I do get excited about things I learn and the people around me. So sometimes I get sleepless nights in a row.
    Recently I read something about Lemon Balm and decided to try it. I make myself a tea with 1t lemon balm and 1t chamomile, a bit offresh squeezed lemon and 1t honey an hour before bedtime. Since I started this I can't even keep my eyes closed to finish a movie.

    Teddy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant Can't keep my eyes OPEN. LOL

    Teddy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh heh, yeah, that was pretty funny Teddy :-)

      My husband's been keeping weird hours, it started on the really cold nights when he had to keep the fire going, and it messed up his sleeping. He finally decided to try chamomile and like you it knocks him out nicely.

      I hope Rob sees your comment! And for the record, you may not know much about herbs *yet* but I'd say you have good instincts.

      Delete
  6. Two years ago while visiting my brother in Australia, I came across the book: Heal Your Gut by Lee Holmes an Australian author. She makes a reference to Slippery Elm, and so I thought I would see if I could get hold of some and lo an behold in the local Go-Vita healthfood store there was a big bin of it being sold loose. Who would have thought a middle sized town in the middle of nowhere. I take it off and on (I keep forgetting after a while) so can't say if it helps or not. Lee stated that it helps to thicken the gut lining, which is a good thing. Lotus, a brand in Australia, now sells it in powder form and is available everywhere now.

    The same for Green Banana resistant starch. I found this is another small town in the Blue Mountains, the last place to find something like that. It has since gone mainstream and you can find it everywhere.

    Not in Holland where I live, so every year when I visit my brother I stock up on these products.

    Jo tB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the irony of finding a North American tree bark in Oz .. thickens the gut lining? I haven't heard that before, interesting.

      I've been looking for green banana flour hereabouts. I know I could buy it from Amazon but I'm old fashioned and like to buy from real stores. But so far, no luck all I get is quizzical looks from store keepers when I ask for it!

      Thanks for stopping by Jo

      Delete
    2. Not sure if it's placebo or what, but...

      I woke up with a sore throat this morning. Because of circumstances, I had to suffer with it all day. When I got home, I made a nice Chai tea and added maybe 1/2 tsp of powdered slippery elm. Throat is fine now. Good stuff. Thanks!

      Delete
    3. That sounds like a nice combo!

      Delete