Monday 18 December 2017

Taking requests


Winter - for most of us - the time of year we read and plan and read some more and plan some more.

I know there are several of my readers who've already branched into growing/wildcrafting and making their own remedies, and others who are considering doing so.



So for those readers I'm planning a series of longer, more detailed posts, which could be loosely described as monographs, on the plants I work with the most. These are all plants which are easy to grow and/or easily found in the wild. I'll include case studies - ie real world stories of how they've worked on various ailments as experienced by myself, family members or friends as well as how and when to harvest, how to store and how to prepare & use the various remedies. Doctrine of signatures, astrological rulership and shamanistic uses, where applicable will definitely be included.

There won't be much in the way of the current scientific research, because as you know that's just not my bag, and also because I assume you'll all be looking at more sources of information than just what I have to say on the matter (3 sources, minimum, remember?).

I can't promise plant id pics at this point as I simply don't have pictures of all of them but again, this is something you can research on your own. They may well be added later.

So far, I'm planning monographs on: (in no particular order) mullein, echinacea, comfrey, burdock, stinging nettle, plantain etc .. and the etc. is where you come in. I'd like to hear from my readers - which plants would you like me to write about? If it's something I've worked with for long enough, I'll be happy to include it. You can make your request in a comment below, or email me (see 'write to me', above).

These posts, as I said, will be as detailed as I can make them, so they will take a while to write (and read). I'm working on the mullein monograph right now, it's well past 2,000 words and I've got a lot more to say yet! Some of what they contain is already in this blog here and there; the idea is to have everything in one place.

This is a long term project; no more than one of these will be published a month (if that!). In the mean time, I'll probably keep up with my tirades and rants and whatever else I fancy while writing these in the background. Stay tuned and keep those cards and letters coming!

4 comments:

  1. Great plan! These monographs will be an excellent resource for everyone. I'd love to see one on Labrador Tea. Speaking of pictures, have you ever checked out Pixabay? Loads of free, high quality pics that you can use with or without citations. I used several in my book when I could not produce my own.

    Mullein, for instance: https://pixabay.com/en/verbascum-thapsus-great-mullein-848692/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, thanks for the tip on Pixabay Tim, that's going to be useful!

      Sorry, no can do on Labrador Tea, I have yet to make its acquaintance. I figure my readers are better served by me writing from experience than by yet another armchair herbalism article.

      Delete
    2. No Labrador tea in your neck of the woods? It grows like weeds here, lol. I hope you make its acquaintance some day.

      Delete
    3. Nope. Or at least I haven't seen it. I think we're a little too far south (ahahaha) for it to be common here.

      Delete