Monday 21 November 2016

St John'swort, topically.


Poor St John'swort. Pigeon-holed by the popular press as an 'herbal anti-depressant' (which it's not, really, except when it it is, sorta, although not how you'd think), it has so much more to offer!

Among other things, it's antiviral, it's a liver herb, it's a nerve healer and it's cheering. For so many issues we humans come up against, some small and irritating, some large and life-altering, St J is often the answer.


Here is a case study from the 'large and life altering' category, from someone near and dear to me. Well, not all that near, as she is now living thousands of miles away .. but certainly dear, as she's my sister!

Here's Catherine's story, in her own words ..




"More than three years ago, I was injured in a rather spectacular traffic accident.

I suffered a compound fracture to my right wrist, which in layman’s terms means the bones were sticking through the skin. I had emergency surgery that night and a second one a couple of weeks later.

Part of my radius bone was replaced by what I think looks like a fork.





(I’m happy to report this fork does not set off
the metal detector at airport security.)

I did 18 months of physiotherapy to restore my range of motion and rebuild strength. I made a lot of progress, but had to come to the realization that I would be living with a certain amount of pain for the rest of my days. I avoid pain medication and muddle along quite well. However, every once in a while I overwork my arm and the pain flares until it is a burning sensation shooting up to my shoulder. 

My last flareup, in May, was particularly bad. I tried a few appointments with my chiropractor, who has given me relief in the past. The pain got worse. I spent $400 on acupuncture treatments, to no avail. That’s when Christine stepped in and recommended I try oil of St. John’s wort. I had never heard of it, but I respect the knowledge my sister has spent years accumulating and bought some that very day.

The oil is reddish in colour with a light earthy scent I have come to love. I noticed nothing when I first rubbed it in, because this elixir works slowly and steadily on the underlying inflammation. Two hours later, however, I noticed a significant drop in pain. I used it three times times a day for several weeks. The moment of truth came when I woke up one morning on my right-hand side. For months it had been too painful to sleep on my right.

If you would like to try this and don’t have any St. John’s wort on hand, Vogel makes a suspension in sunflower oil for less than $20 a bottle. The label gives no hint of what it can do for chronic pain. “Used traditionally to treat minor inflammation of the skin, blunt injuries, wounds and burns.”

I now apply the oil in the morning and at night (except for the days when I forget because I am pain-free.) Thank you, Christine. With my pain level reduced, I can focus on enjoying my life here on Canada’s West Coast."

12 comments:

  1. Wow! My daughter has horrific pain from severe tendonitis in her arm. After chiropractic, acupuncture and injections, she still has problems. This may be a good option for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may well be Linda.

      If she tries it, let us know how it goes.

      Delete
  2. My father, who is 100, has developed significant extremity neuropathic pain and since nothing allopathic has helped him it sounds like SJW is certainly worth a shot. Your sister recommended a Vogel product which doesn't seem to be available in the States, but I've found a possible candidate from Iherb --have you any other suggestions for a source of SJW oil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJW is absolutely the way to go for neuropathy, I'm sure it will help.

      I've always made my own oil, but I hear good things about Red Moon Herbs. I've just had a quick look at their SJW oil and it looks like good quality.

      https://redmoonherbs.com/collections/salves-and-oils/products/st-johns-wort-oil?variant=23423931395

      Delete
  3. PS: I will definitely keep you posted as to results...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I hope you will!

      Btw, SJW tincture can be used topically as well, or even a vinegar base.

      Delete
    2. My father called today, and Mirabile Dictu, the SJW oil is working --really the first thing we've tried that has had any effect on his pain to any appreciable degree! He's been using it 4xD in all of his pain locations and was able to get dressed and move around today with almost no pain at all, pretty much for the first time in several years. Bless you, m'dear, we'll be grateful forever.

      Delete
    3. Oh that is wonderful, wonderful news. I am so pleased to hear this, thank you for keeping us posted!

      Delete
  4. Here's an update on my daughter's forearm pain. After reading your post, she was happy to try the oil as her pain was worsening and her only option, according to her doctor, was surgery. After using it for over a week so far, she is definitely feeling better or as she put it: "Yeah I can really tell a difference !!" How about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for the update Linda. I'm so glad to hear she's noticing a difference.

      This is the young woman who was told she had tendonitis, yes? This is classic. It may be that she was misdiagnosed in the first place, or it could be that over time, nerves became involved, as they very often do, and that's how we get chronic pain from an old injury.

      I say this because St Johnswort IS nerve medicine, it isn't tendon or muscle medicine. It will generally help relieve any sort of pain, but it will, over time, *cure* nerve damage. It's important to know that. In a few weeks she may be able to resume some strength exercises with it.

      Thanks again for letting us know.

      Delete
  5. I have neck and upper back pain due to a traffic accident over 20 years ago. Recently, I have been introduced to Arnica through what you call a 'woo' event.
    Arnica gel is soothing and relaxing to my muscles. I haven't noticed a big change in my muscle pain though.
    How would one find a St.Johnswort oil? Do you have any that you would be willing to sell?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't make enough St J oil that I have any to spare this year, sorry. According to my sister in the article above, it can be found in health food stores, and I believe Red Moon herbs online has a good quality product. I'm not entirely sure St J is what you want for muscles, it's a nerve remedy, (for true muscle pain you might want aspen) but of course it is worth a try because as mentioned, old pain might well have nerve involvement.

      As for Arnica .. yeah, it's okay as a short term pain reliever but it's not much of a healing remedy, at least commercial preparations aren't. It doesn't grow around me so I haven't worked with the 'real deal'. You have access to mullein, right? Try making an oil of mullein leaf or if the ground isn't yet frozen, go get some root and tincture it. It might be just the ticket, esp. combined with St J.

      Delete