Thursday 15 November 2018

Medicine chest - combining herbal medicines



The most sensible approach to combining herbal medicines?

Don't.

Unless ..



and until you know what each medicinal plant does for you as an individual - not just what the label or the book or the website (including this one!) says it will do, but what it does for you -  it's just kinda foolhardy to go adding in others.

That means if you find an herb that works for you but you want to add another, stop taking the first one, try the second, assess, and then try combining them. And assess again. Want to try a third? Stop taking the first two, try the new one, assess. Add in one of the other two, assess. Add in the third, assess again.

I'm not kidding. Ideally, there would be a 3 day break between herbs, too, because effects linger.

Herbal doesn't always equal safe.

More is not better.

And most of all, herbal actions can definitely push your body too far one way or another if the herbs you are taking aren't carefully selected to be in some kind of balance with each other and suited to your particular constitution and the situation at hand.

Case in point - not everyone does well on dandelion, or they do well on it under certain circumstances but not others. People - like me - who have a somewhat dry constitution to begin with can find dandelion too drying. Nettles are somewhat drying, too. If I took dandelion and nettles together for any length of time, I'd be in trouble.

Yet a googling of "dandelion and nettles" yields this hit of the two combined as a (supposed) remedy for anemia. Nowhere does it mention that both dandelion leaves and nettle are diuretic, so how would you know unless you had already tried dandelion, then nettle, to see how your own constitution could handle them combined? (Never mind that the instructions on how to prepare the nettles are just plain wrong .. raggin' fraggin' mutter mutter.)

There are scads of pre-made herbal combinations on the market - avoid them like the plague they are.

Why?

Oh so many reasons. There's the one above, but say you've worked with each of the herbs before and you know how you react to them? Can't you just save yourself some bother and buy them already combined?

Well, no.

Call me picky - and lots of people do, so go ahead, I won't be offended - but I have yet to see a label telling me the percentage of each herb in the combination. And that matters. When you make your own combinations, you're quite liable to use more of one, less of another and just a titch of a third. Your ideal combination will be different than mine because your constitution and situation differ from mine.

Now - Here's a good example of what I would consider a pretty darned iffy formula, a "liver cleanse" (shudder) formula from a reputable company,

Ingredients: Organic milk thistle, organic burdock root, barberry bark, organic fennel, organic ginger, organic goldenseal root, organic bupleurum root, water & organic alcohol (30%).

and the instructions for use say:

Directions: Add 10 to 20 drops (approx. 1/16 tsp) to water or juice several times each day, as needed.

How much of each herb are you getting in every dose? No way to know. What do they mean by "as needed?"

Believe me, in this particular formula the answers to those questions are going to matter. Let's consider the goldenseal root. That's one herb that no one should be taking for any length of time. If you need goldenseal, it's great, but as soon as the need is taken care of, it can mess you up but good if you continue to take it. How? It will give you the same symptoms you were trying to relieve in the first place - extreme hypoglycemia, or ulceration of the mucosa, anyone? Not knowing this, you could end up thinking you need more of it, when in fact what you need is to stop taking it entirely. Tricky stuff, goldenseal root. It is one of the least safe herbs out there and more is never better.

There are potentially problematic issues with the barberry, too, like pretty serious gastrointestinal issues that can crop up and again, it lowers the blood glucose levels - yet there it is combined with goldenseal ... hmm. As far as I know, bulpeurum is used mostly for cases where there's an excess of estrogen that needs to be cleared out of the liver - if that's not your issue, do you need to be taking it? It has neurological effects, too; it used to be used for epilepsy. So that's a heck of a combination of herbs that simply won't suit everyone. At least the burdock and milk thistle are fairly benign .. but ..

It looks to me that the above combination was put together on the basis of "all these supposedly work on the liver so let's just throw them all together with some ginger and fennel to mitigate the cramps that the others might cause" with no real consideration to what each of them actually does.

The liver specific herbs act in different ways. Some stimulate it, some sedate it when overactive. There are "hot" livers and "cold" livers, overworked livers and lazy livers. If you don't know - for sure - what's ailing your liver, you can't just go throwing every "liver herb" you can name at it and expect it to be happy.

Laying off the coffee and/or booze would help, and I have another suggestion for people with unhappy livers (etc) that many of you will, I'm afraid, shake your heads at ..

Sometimes - nay, often - the best course of action to take when there's something weird going on with our bodies is to do nothing. Sometimes - nay, often - that means laying off the supplements and herbs. All of them.

It's not just goldenseal that can mess you up if you take it when you don't really need it. All the supposedly safe and good for you medicinal plants have their limits of use and beyond that can cause imbalances. There IS such a thing as taking too much nettle or too much burdock, just like there is such a thing as eating too much butter or too much cabbage.

Less is very often more.

So if you're endlessly searching for the magic bullet to fix your hormones or skin or gall bladder or sleep troubles or whatever, here's something else you might try:

Bring out every vitamin, supplement, green drink mix, fish oil, tincture, capsule, probiotic, prebiotic and essential oil that you have used over the last 30 days - including the ones in your cosmetics and toiletries and "green" cleaning products, because they certainly count! - and lay them out in front of you.

Load them into a shoe box (do they fit?).

Now put them all away for 30 days. Or even just a week. But longer is better.

In the meantime, get morning sun every day, preferably as you take a walk. Turn off the blue screens of phone, tv or laptop a couple of hours before bed time. Eat with pleasure, not guilt, not fear. Make love more often. Sing. And every time your attention wanders to something that feels "wrong" about your health, redirect your thoughts to something that feels right.

When time's up, assess how you feel. Then bring out your box and have a fresh look at it. How many of those products do you actually need? And as you begin to use them again, (one by one, if possible) again, assess how you feel.

I love the medicine plants; I've been studying them, growing them and working with them for a big chunk of my adult life. But I've learned that most everyone is using them incorrectly. We're not getting the most out of them because we're blurring them all together, unaware that what they can do individually, in small doses, over short periods of time is actually superior to what they do in ill-thought out combinations, large doses and long term use.

Herbal medicine differs from pharmaceutical medicine in one very important way - it can affect actual cures. We're trained to think in terms of "controlling" chronic conditions the way MD's do with pharmaceuticals (how often do MD's cure any more?) so we "take herbs" in the same way.

But with careful use, herbs correct imbalances and shift processes in our bodies back to where they should be. They actually cure. When they do, we can and should stop taking them. If they don't cure within a fairly short period of time, we have the wrong herb. Taking more of it or adding something on top simply won't help and will quite probably cause harm.

Yes, there are 'tonic' herbs that can be used long term. But even they needn't be used more than a few weeks or months at a time. Most of the tonics have seasons, just as our food supply used to have seasons. Dandelion greens in spring, berries in summer. Having lost the understanding of eating food in season, we've lost the understanding of using herbs that way too.

Something to think about, right?

Further reading - Understanding your personal constitution can go a long way towards helping you choose the right herb(s) for your needs. If you're interested in the idea, have a look at this article.

12 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I've had a quick look at the link and that also looks very interesting - I'll have a proper read over the coming days when I get chance.

    In the mean time a quick question if I may on the dosage of Burdock. Now am sure it will differ from person to person, but what sort of ranges would be considered ok?

    Yesterday I received the powder and had a teaspoon as a tea and a teaspoon in my fibre mix.

    I wasn't expecting much so soon, but noticed 3 things:
    1. Felt a noticeable increase in circulation shortly after taking. Nice and pleasant.
    2. Leg pains in bed. Haven't had in ages and may just be coincidence.
    3. Dreams a plenty. Weird dreams that I can't really articulate, but which were very vivid.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of variables involved for dosage recommendations Rob. If you steeped that teaspoon as tea (ie a few minutes) you didn't get as much goodness as you could have out of it. Burdock likes a long steeping or even a bit of a simmer. Then drink it in sips spaced throughout the day and assess. More bang for the buck that way. BUT then again, I have never used powder, only chunks, so take with a grain of salt.

      No idea re dosage taking it in fibre mix. I don't use it that way; to be honest it doesn't sit right with me. But you could ask Wilbur, he's the fibre guy. He might be reading now so if he is, he's likely to jump in with advice - yoohoo, Wilbur, are you here?

      Your other questions

      1) Increase in circulation, that's interesting, can't say I've heard that before. Cool.
      2) Leg pains - due to increase in circulation? Or as you say, maybe coincidence.
      3) Dreams - yep. Burdock will do that.

      Delete
    2. I have no real idea. Sorry. I use about a teaspoon each day, maybe more of a heaping teaspoon.

      I kind of think of it as food for the gut since it’s somewhat high in inulin. But the powdered stuff has kick too. I’d been using the tinctures for a while, and then added the powdered to my drink. Very negative dreams for a few days. Not nightmares, but not pleasant. Now I seem to be good.

      I have nothing but intuition to add, but I think about a teaspoon is right. Of course, I use the tincture too.

      I seem to favor sunchoke powder as my main source of inulin. That’s sad because it’s very hard to find. That I take a couple of tablespoons full. So let’s say a scant teaspoon of dandelion root, a rounded teaspoon of burdock, and a couple of tablespoons of sunchoke. Just my best guess though!

      Delete
  2. Huh! I guess I am just the "hmmmm. Body, what is going on and what do you need" type. I just have a sense about it and go with it. If I had to remember it all, I would be in trouble. We each need to know our bodies well enough and our own response to each plant. You hit it all on the head, sis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the replies.

    I've been putting a teaspoon in my fibres and using the same in a tea. Ill be getting the bits needed for the tincture.

    The dreams were really vivid last night - I was in the USA with Magnus Samuelson (read into that what you will!).

    I had to Google sunchoke - we know it as jerusalem artichoke. I've had a look but can't find any at any reasonablish prices. Plus I still have the orafti insulin left.

    Great blog btw - really interesting stuff that seems to actually have an impact!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to Google Magnus Samuelson :-). Burdock is giving me dreams right now too, lots of detail to them. That's just on 3 drops of tincture once or twice a day.

      The other name we have for jerusalem artichoke is fartichoke - make of that what you will. If you have growing space, they are very easy to grow then I imagine you could just dehydrate them and grind as needed. As noted before, I don't "do" fibre supplements, but I adore chokes as a vegetable in season and especially in a mixed veg ferment. You can probably find them in a good green grocer if you're interested in trying them.

      Delete
    2. I went on a foraging walk in a wooded area that had an open area for people to have gardens. Apparently someone had grown sunchokes in the garden, but it had spread well outside the garden area. Could have had a bunch.

      In my experience, sunchokes will store a very long time in a refrigerator (many months). I might have to resort to buying them in bulk and doing like wildcucumber says. They are also very good to eat. I love them as a hash for fish. I even diced them one time, cooked them with ground beef, and then used that in a standard lasagne. The texture and earthy flavors were winners.

      A US company used to sell powder bulk at a good price, but it seems to have discontinued it.

      Delete
    3. Sunchokes are native to North America and grow like weeds in just about every yard in our village. I doubt most people know they can eat them, but let them grow because they're pretty and attract birds. The wild ones have the same taste and same excellent keeping qualities but the tubers are longer, more finger like than the ones I've seen in stores. They keep as well in the ground as they do in the drawer of a fridge, so if you went back to where you saw them, Wilbur, you would likely still be able to harvest them. And as a bonus, like all tuberous wild plants, digging/pulling them up actually helps the plant to spread.

      Delete
    4. Hmm, that’s a good thought. It’s quite a drive, and we lacked a trowel on the previous visit. I have a good trowel now.

      I meant to mention that I often have to resort to buying the minimum ordering quantity of stuff where I live. For sunchokes, that might be 10 lbs or so. Stores are happy to order special stuff for me if I buy it all. But it sucks. I like beet juice. I have to buy almost 12 liters at a time (look at me going metric!). Goat butter, 12 lbs. Lard, 8 lbs. But, yeah, the great storage time of sunchokes helps. I have some I bought two months ago that look as good as the day I bought them.

      We have several areas in our neighborhood that get no pollution, no water runoff, lots of sun, no chemicals, etc. Not my property though. I’m seriously considering quietly planting stuff like sunchokes in those areas, and harvesting later. I don’t think it would hurt anything. I’d like to make a secret ramp garden someplace.

      Delete
    5. You'll get nothing but support from me if you're considering getting into "guerrilla gardening"! It's an honourable thing to do. Just make sure that what you plant isn't liable to become invasive and inspire some bastard to come in with Agent Orange .. it actually happens that "environmentalists" will spray glyphosate in order to rid an area of what they consider 'dangerous' non-native plants. But no reason you couldn't get away with 're-establishing' the native flora.

      When digging tubers, you'll also want a digging fork. It loosens the soil, then you get in with your hands. Less damage to the tubers. And/or, if you're looking to really be incognito about it, learn to make and use a "digging stick".

      Goat butter? Wow! We just can't get things like that here, not even good lard. If I could get good lard I would consider using it to make ointments, the herbal ingredients absorb into the skin better than those made with oils.





      Delete
    6. Had a look and surprisingly local supermarket has sunchokes - so got the boss to order me some!

      Really like the burdock. Dreams are great. But I honestly feel more resilient. We have 2 foster children at the min and one is struggling teething. Hence sleep is in very short supply. But despite this I have a calmness that I've rarely felt when stress is on. I hope it persist!

      Now if I could just get this liver digesting fats I'd be on the home straight...

      Delete
    7. That's great news that the burdock is already helping, glad to hear it. It will kick in with the fat digestion soon. Great news about the sunchokes too!

      Foster kids, eh? I did that too, never little 'uns though. Just teenagers and as I remember it they caused me to lose a bit of sleep too. Good luck with that.

      Delete